District‎ > ‎

Student Registration

Welcome to Commerce City Schools!

To begin registration, click the link below. Contact Angie Ingram, at (706) 336-8965 or 706-335-5500, if you have any questions. Once the application is competed online, ALL of the forms listed below will need to be turned in at Central Office and copies of required documentation will be made BEFORE the enrollment process is completed.



Enrollment Forms

To complete the form above Adobe Reader is required. You can download Adobe Reader for free by clicking here.

The forms will also be available at the Central Office, 270 Lakeview Dr., Commerce, GA 30529.

The following items are needed to complete the registration process;

Birth Certificate

Social Security Card or Number

Immunization Records

Georgia Form 3300 - Hearing, Vision and Dental (Pre-K and Kindergarten)

Proof of Residency (Current Utility Bill or Lease Agreement)

Picture ID of Legal Guardian

Custody Paperwork (If Necessary)

Entering kindergarten and first grade: According to Georgia law, children must be five years old by September 1st in order to enroll in kindergarten and six years old by September 1st to enroll in first grade. The only exceptions are students who were legal residents in another state for a period of two years prior to moving to Georgia and: (1) are age five by December 31st and who attended an accredited kindergarten in another state may enroll in public kindergarten, or (2) students who are six by December 31st and who attended an accredited school in another state may enroll in first grade.

Children in need of services due to non-traditional housing must contact our System Homeless Liaison, Dr. Joy R. Tolbert at (706) 335-5500.

Registration Requirements: Who may register the student?

A parent, guardian, grandparent, or other person having control or charge of a child has the authority to enroll a child in school. See O.C.G.A. § 20-2-690.1.

If the person presenting the student for enrollment is not that student’s parent or guardian, i.e., an “other person “such as a grandparent or other relative, the local education agency (LEA) has the option of adopting a practice or procedure to do one of the following each time this occurs: (1) enroll the student; (2) provisionally enroll the student and then require the other person to obtain guardianship; or (3) require the other person to complete a Non-Parental Affidavit. See Appendix G: Non-Parental Affidavit of Residence Sample Form.

A. Instances in which an LEA cannot require the “other person” to obtain guardianship:

1. Student is eligible for services under the Migrant Education Program.

2. The “other person” is enrolling the student pursuant to a military power of attorney.

3. The “other person” is enrolling the student is a grandparent enrolling the student pursuant to a power of attorney executed under the “Power of Attorney for the Care of a Minor Child Act,” O.C.G.A §19-9-120 through O.C.G.A § 19-9-129.

Provisional Enrollment

The LEA must provisionally enroll the student and give parent, guardian, or other person in control or charge of a child a minimum of 30 days to satisfy all of the documentation requirements. LEAs should still work to get all documentation during school normal registration periods and provisional enrollment should be implemented as an exception rather than as a rule. It should be implemented in instances where the parent, guardian, grandparent, or other person needs additional time to procure certain documents or evidence. For example, if the LEA has adopted rules and policies requiring the other person enrolling a student to obtain guardianship, the LEA must still enroll the student under this provisional enrollment provision while the other person pursues guardianship in probate court.

Nonresident Students – Code JBCH

Nonresident students MAY BE REMOVED from the Commerce City Schools for any of the following reasons:
1.  Unacceptable behavior;
2.  Unacceptable attendance; out-of-district students will be withdrawn from Commerce City Schools to attend their home district upon 10 unexcused absences.
3.  Lack of effort and/or poor academic performance;
4.  Falsification and/or misrepresentation of information during application process;
5.  Other good and sufficient cause.

Documents and proofs necessary for enrollment:

A. Proof of age:

The LEA must accept the documents set forth in Section (2) (a) (3) of the rule. Upon presentation of one of these documents, a photocopy of the document should be placed in the student’s record and the document that is presented should be returned to the parent, guardian, grandparent, or other person.

B. Certificate of Immunization:

1. O.C.G.A. § 20-2-771 requires children to submit a certificate of immunization to the responsible official of the school or facility. It also enables the school official to grant a 30 calendar day waiver of the certification requirement for a justified reason. The school official can extend the waiver for up to 90 calendar days provided documentation is on file at the school from the local health department or a physician specifying that an immunization sequence has been started and that this immunization time schedule can be completed within the 90 day waiver period, provided confirmation is received during the waiver period from the health department or physician that immunizations are being received as scheduled, and provided the student under waiver is a transfer student , who is defined as a student who moves from an out-of-state LEA to a Georgia LEA.

C. Certificate of Eye, Ear and Dental Examinations:

O.C.G.A. § 20-2-770 requires that these examinations take place, that local boards of health provide for such examinations and screenings, that certificates be issued to parents of children entering the first grade, and that this certificate be turned in to school officials at the time of enrollment.

D. Proof of residence:

It is recommended that documents used to prove residency include the name of the parent, guardian, grandparent, or other person enrolling the student (or the name of the emancipated minor) and a street address. The person enrolling the student or in the case of an emancipated minor, the student, should provide a current utility bill and anyone of the following items. LEAs should consider accepting the following at a minimum, but can accept additional documents not included in this list:

1) Current lease/rental agreement;

2) Current utility bill;

4) Current residential property tax statement or bill;

5) Third-person affidavit of residency(notarized affidavit shall be completed and signed by parent, guardian or other person, as well as the legal owner or lessor of the property where the student and the parent, guardian, or other person reside); or

E. Social Security number (SSN) or Signed Waiver:

State law requires a school to request that a person enrolling a student provide the enrolling student’s Social Security number or a signed statement stating that the individual does not wish to provide the Social Security number. O.C.G.A. § 20-2-150(d). LEAs must follow State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-.24 Procedure for Requesting Student Social Security Numbers when enrolling students. No student shall be denied enrollment in any public school or program for declining to provide a Social Security number or declining to apply for a Social Security number. LEA enrollment forms and enrollment information should clearly state that providing the student’s Social Security number, or applying for a number, is not required for enrollment. The LEA’s enrollment forms and enrollment information must be provided to each child’s parent or guardian in a language that the parent or guardian can understand. Each LEA must provide a Social Security number waiver form (see Appendix J: Sample Social Security Number Waiver Form) for the individual to complete stating that the individual does not wish to provide the Social Security number.